Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Diapers 

Wonkette linked to the YRHT post that aired rumors about Vitter's supposed diaper fetish. Then according to the DU, James Carville might have mentioned it on CNN this afternoon.

I only have one source about this salacious "diaper detail", which is beside the point of the matter. However, for the record, this source knows multiple former patrons of the Canal Street Madam who happen to be lawyers, and they told my source about the diaper fetish. This source has provided me with extremely reliable information in the past, and that's why I chose to include it in the post. The Canal Street Madam herself defended Vitter today and said he was not into anything "unusual", which flatly contradicts what my source told me about Vitter's preferences. However, it confirms what my source told me about Vitter being a client of the Canal Street Madam-- which is a far more important point than some diaper imagery, and shows a pattern of behavior rather than one single lapse.

Also: yesterday afternoon, prior to my post, New Orleans blogger Noladishu wrote: "This story is getting legs. Oh, if they only get into the sick, sick fetish stuff he's rumored to have gotten into!"

Treat the diaper thing as a distracting rumor from a one-sourced blogger whom the Canal Street Madam flatly contradicted. It should be much more surprising to everyone that Senator Vitter has not yet felt compelled to deny her incendiary charges, nor the old reports from journalist (and current GOP State Rep Candidate) Chris Tidmore.
---

It's disheartening that YRHT gets more hits about this minor detail than I ever got from my other commentaries on substantial issues relating to New Orleans and Louisiana, but I suppose that's the way of blogs.

While I'm getting the hits, I'd also like to note that New Orleans Bloggers will be assembling for the Rising Tide 2 event to be held August 24-26 in New Orleans. Check the website in coming weeks for more details. I can tell you that there will be a political panel, and the issue of "corruption" will be covered.

Labels: ,

9 comments DiggIt! Del.icio.us

9 Comments:

Yes, it is sad that dirty laundry--pun intended--generates more interest than substantive discussion...but that's not just with blogs. Sure, newspapers occasionally carry something worthwhile, usually buried around page B-17 or so...television and radio often don't even bother, but stick with Chris Matthews-style gushing about Fred Thompson's um, smell (eek).

Well, sad to say, that probably explains why the Gulf Coast is a mess, the Middle East is an even bigger mess...and a good bit of the government is in denial, if not "busy" with the successor(s) to Jeane Palfrey.

That said, I wish I'd thought of the graphic over at the DU site you linked to. That was good...

By Blogger Michael, at 7:11 PM  

If Vitty-cent's dirty diapers are what it takes to make more readers aware of the need for Cat 5 levee protection and coastal restoration, then so be it. That would do more for the cause than Vitter himself, who has been unable to persuade his fellow Republicans and the President that Nola deserves more than 1 in 100 year flood protection. Besides, maybe Vitty's diaper supply could be used in flood water absorption if the levees fail again.

By Anonymous bigshot, at 7:27 PM  

Surely you are aware of the irony of promoting Rising Tide to diaper advocates?

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:35 PM  

I can tell you that there will be a political panel, and the issue of "corruption" will be covered.

Yes, yes, Oyster, but will the panel talk about the diapers?

By Blogger Grandmère Mimi, at 8:06 PM  

mimi just killed me!! Oh my...

I am trying to get someone to cover a shift so I can make the Rising Tide gig.

As far as the diaper thing goes, it seemed clear from what you said that the diaper was not his only fetish or "preference". But what an attention getter it is... The public has no sense of perspective on the infantilism or diaper fetish - they see it as "worse" than a shoe fetish or a foot fetish or cross-dressing or whatever or spanking or fisting... say lah vee

Your blog is, and has been , a great read...

By Anonymous RacyMind, at 9:30 PM  

You should probably blame James Carville for the hit spike. If he hadn't mentioned the story on CNN, there might not have been so much interest among media watchdog types in finding the source of the story.

By Blogger s9, at 10:20 PM  

I think you've handled the Diaper fetish angle of the story properly. You've been clear about your source and his/her reliability, and you've tried to place it in its proper context with the larger issues. If people latch onto that and visit your blog as a consequence, well I think that's just fine. They'll be exposed to the broader questions you have and will become more informed about the full details of Vitter's questionable past. And that's a good thing.

By Blogger Huck, at 12:38 AM  

Let me know if you want me to round up some hookers to be panelists.

By Anonymous Ray, at 2:09 AM  

Well, at least in part it might be that you're getting more hits because people are googling Vitter and discovering your blog. The whole NOLA thing - Katrina, the FEMA bullshit, the government's terrifying incompetence and indifference - is very depressing, and although I try to keep up, I mostly look to sources I know. Now that I know you exist and are offering substantive discussion, I am sure to return.

By Blogger ThePoliticalCat, at 10:23 AM