Monday, October 22, 2007

Vote switching? 

I'm intrigued by Libertarian candidate T. Lee Horne's claims that some electronic machines were switching votes. Here is a copy of an email he sent to one of his supporters yesterday:

Subject: Election results and news.
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:51:23 -0500

The election didn't go well. I received a few reports, one from my campaign manager, that the electronic machines were switching votes from me to Jindal. When he called to Sec of State and finally got someone he was told it is a known problem and they don't know what to do about it.

Other people contacted me. They would vote for me, then vote the rest of the ballot, go back to check their votes and the vote for me was changed before they recorded so they canceled and revoted.

In Franklin, only 1 person officially voted for me in my precinct. Not likely as I voted for me and I am sure of 3 others.

In Bunkie, 3 people in one precinct voted for me and only 2 votes showed up for me.

How many other votes for other candidates were switched to B. Jindal? But hey, it is Louisiana, what can you expect?

T. Lee Horne, III


I'd like to know more about this. Did the Sec of State really acknowledge that there is a known electronic vote-switching problem, but that they "don't know what to do about it"? I would like to know how many votes were switched to Jindal or others, if any. And I would be shocked if it were anything more than a negligible micro-percentage. But I'd still like to know if this is a problem, no matter how small. (I've previously been outraged when Secretary of State's ignore and diminish voting problems so they can brag about a clean election.)

---
Update: More at We Saw That, whom the National Review apparently views as a "liberal" blogger.

Labels:

6 comments DiggIt! Del.icio.us

6 Comments:

For a couple of races, I had to press the candidate's button more than once before the "X" disappeared from the top of the box and showed up next to the name.

Not that that means anything, per se, but count me as decidedly NOT a fan of the Sequoia machines that replaced the big, clunky mechanical ones several years ago.

As for my little problem, if I hadn't noticed, there could have easily been a couple of races where I cast no vote at all...

By Blogger Michael, at 9:22 AM  

Damn...where's some aluminum foil when I need it??

By Blogger Nick, at 1:02 PM  

Actually, this is fairly testable, nick.

Either, T. Lee Horne is correct about the switching, or his peeps didn't vote for him even though they said they did (which would be funny), or else there were coincidental malfunctions or mistakes (unlikely).

By Blogger oyster, at 2:11 PM  

Look, I can testify to Michael's experience. I can't remember what race it was, but I had to hit the candidate's name a couple times for the "X" to appear. Hopefully, if you're taking on the responsibility of being a part in deciding our local/state/national leaders, you'll look out for that kind of thing.

It's like taking the computer test at the DMV. Make damn sure the letter you hit is the one on the screen before submitting.

I wouldn't be surprised if Horne's people didn't vote for him. It's a shame because I think the Libertarian Party has some good ideas, but most of the biggest supporters of Horne and the party were likely kooks, probably not even registered to vote because they don't want the government tracking them with black helicopters.

Of course, Horne was likely my #3 choice out of the candidates, which says something about the "great" field voters had to choose from.

By Blogger Nick, at 4:23 PM  

I make it a habit to check the little green screen at the bottom of the machine to make sure the correct name is displayed as I press each x.

Peace,

Tim

By Blogger Tim, at 9:37 PM  

Did we ever get an explanation for why returns stopped coming in for a while Saturday night? I thought it would have looked suspicious during a presidential election, but didn't think any more of it. I'd worry more about switched votes that you didn't see.

By Blogger bayoustjohndavid, at 6:50 PM